Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wonky Star Quilt

This is my wonky star quilt inspired by this tutorial, and by this quilt on Flickr, using PB&J charm squares plus some Denyse Schmidt fabrics and one red fabric that belonged to my late Granny.

This quilt took nearly a year to make.  It started on an eventful day about a year ago, when my husband and I left the teenagers at the Mall of America with their aunts and uncles and drove west to see some Archean gneiss in an abandoned quarry.
No, I will not spare you from pictures of rocks.  Actually, we only got a couple of miles down the road before we hit a huge piece of metal on the highway in Minneapolis and ripped our tires to shreds. So first, we had new tires installed on the car.  Then we went to the quarry.

On the way back, we stopped at this cute quilt shop, and this is where I found the PB&J charm packs.
I had seen wonky stars in various places on the internets, but it took me a bit to come up with a design.

 I started with the idea of having lattices surrounding the squares, but I liked the stars so much I didn't want to detract from them.  So then I was left with this:

Which didn't have enough color for me.  Lucky are those people who can actually have mostly-white quilts- I don't think one would stay pristine in my house for very long.  Also, this was meant as a lap quilt, and this was not nearly enough stars.  So, I started adding reversed stars and smaller stars, and rearranged and rearranged...



The backing is Denyse Schmidt fabric from Joann's.  Binding from PB&J.

And the result, unquilted:
And quilted:

This is the first time I tried quilting in a meandering pattern- ie, not straight-line quilting.

Woohoo! This one is a lap quilt for me.  I am not looking forward to winter after the last one, but at least I can cuddle under this in my armchair in front of the fire.

No comments: