Friday, October 24, 2014

First ever entry into the Blogger's Quilt Festival: Wonky Stars from Minnesota

I am happy to submit an entry to the Fall 2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival on Amy's Creative Side.  This looks like a really great way to share ideas, by seeing others' incredible work.

I'm submitting my Wonky Star quilt.  The original blog post on making this quilt is here.  I bought the fabric in Minnesota after we drove there from Virginia on a family trip.  My husband and I left the teenagers at the Mall of America with aunts and uncles, and took off to look for some interesting rocks an hour west of town.  We promptly ran over a huge metal bracket left in the middle of the highway (ah, construction season in Minneapolis) and ripped all four tires to shreds.  After pulling off into a hotel parking lot, then an impromptu purchase and installation of all new tires, we started on our way, again.

 We did find the quarry with some of North America's oldest rocks.  On the way back, we stopped by a quilt store and I bought some charm packs of PB&J. 

There are some other fabrics in the quilt.  One of the red ones was found in my grandparents' house shortly after they died.  My grandmother always loved the color red, so it's a nice reminder of her.  I bought the backing fabric on an earlier non-vacation trip, the night before I gave a presentation to almost 300 people in Newport News, VA.  It was an incredibly important point in my career - the research ideas I was lecturing about got me tenure. So, this quilt reminds me of a lot of different things that happened in my life.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

D blocks for the Spring: Aspen Glow Quilt Along

Not a lot of time this week to post!  But, here are my various D blocks for the spring version of the Aspen Glow quilt.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Block B for the winter version of Aspen Glow

And here are my completed B blocks for the larger, queen-sized version using the winter setting of the Aspen Glow pattern available from Cora's Quilts:
I'm doing this version in queen-size, and produced a giant pile of blocks during sewing!  This is one of the only times there wasn't a cat sitting on them as well.

So far I've only done mint blocks, so it will be neat to start in on the other fabrics for the next set of blocks.

Blocks C1 and C2 for the Spring version of Aspen Glow

It took all day (in between doing other things), but I finished the C blocks for the twin-sized Aspen Glow quilt I'm making using Bluebird Park:

 Lines of little chain-pieced strips for the C blocks.

The completed blocks.  I'm using the Autumn setting for this quilt, so I actually do have a C1 and C2 version of the block. All of the ones visible in this picture are C1 (green on the bottom).  The C2 blocks have yellow patterns on the bottom.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Block A for Winter and Block B for Spring: Aspen Glow pattern

After I got the flu shot and then promptly came down with a bad head cold for a week, I finally felt well enough today to get a little piecing done for the Aspen Glow quilt along.

These are blocks A for the large (queen-sized) winter version of the quilt.  I really like the background color I'm using for this one.  It's light stone gray, but to me it looks like the color of my morning coffee, which is actually half coffee and half creamer.  The mint pattern is from Winter's Lane.

I also sewed through block B for the spring version (it's actually the autumn pattern, but I'm making it with the spring-y fabrics of Bluebird Park.
I had to use the flash on this one- it is getting darker earlier and earlier every day. :( At least the weather has decided to cool down to something more appropriate for September.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Block A for Aspen Glow Quilt-Along: Bluebird Park

I managed to get all of my squares and rectangles cut for my Bluebird Park version of the Aspen Glow pattern.  There is a little bit more time here in September before things just become totally crazy with my job, so I went ahead and finished Block A for this quilt:
 Squirrel-y block.
I am working with fat eights of material, so it was necessary to use more than one fabric in the line for the "medium gray" squares in these blocks.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Aspen Glow Quilt Along

The Cora's Quilts Aspen Glow quilt along is starting on 9/1/14 and I signed up.  It's my first quilt along ever (cyber or real).

These Bluebird Park fat eighths have been sitting around in my stash for a while, so when I saw there was a quilt pattern using Kate and Birdie Paper Co fabrics, I thought, "hey I should make that and I can use these."
This picture was actually taken a week ago- I finished cutting these into pieces for a lap quilt, though I am still working on the many little pieces of white fabric.

Believe it or not, I have ambitions of completing a second Aspen Glow quilt for our queen bed.  This does not mean that the quilt will cover the entire bed, because DH is sort of like a spaghetti spoon in bed and twirls everything - sheets, quilts, sometimes cats- around him as he tosses and turns at night.  But, I can certainly use it if this winter was anything like last winter.

So, here is the general idea for the fabrics for the second quilt.  Some Winter's Lane, a plaid called Honky Tonk Chili Pepper Campfire Coffee (!) by Moda, taupe fabric from the local quilt store for the background.  I'm probably not using the gray with white flowers for this one- but it works as a stand-in until the real fabric arrives.
I wanted something similar to the color choices in the winter color-way as described in the pattern instructions.  It should match the bedroom wall color, and I just like the mint, red, and white together.  One of my favorite color combinations.

I look forward to seeing what others choose for their fabrics!