Thursday, July 18, 2013

Garden update

It is hot, Hot, HOT, and very humid.  Which means that the zucchini and other vine plants are going crazy...
This was a week ago.  Yesterday I picked something like 10 zucchinis.

The cucumbers are also doing great.  I tried trellising them this year and it is working well- the plants seem less susceptible to wilt because they have less contact with the soil and splashback from the heavy rains we've been having lately.

The raised beds are also helping me win the war against the slugs and grasshoppers who love a diet of broccoli and cabbage. 
The middle of the garden is getting weedy / grassy because we didn't have time to install raised beds there.  I am trying to manage the mess with straw, some cardboard, and growing some corn and sunflowers to hide the mess.

But, I am pleased overall with the new garden arrangement. 




No comments: