Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tiny watermelon, etc.

This is the tiniest watermelon I've ever seen:

I am hopeful my viney plants (watermelon, muskmelon, pumpkin, zucchini, cucumber) will get a boost from the nice warm weather we've been having since my return. The ones planted outside in May suffered from mildewy stuntedness. I had some growing in little pots on the porch while I was gone, and at least the watermelon and muskmelon seemed to do well there.



The eggplant suffered from small black beetles boring holes in the leaves, but the store-bought one now has a nice purple blossom.

I find the chickpeas hard to photograph. The ones I planted in April are starting to flower:

They seem impervious to just about everything. I bought a $1 bag of garbanzo beans at Walmart and just stuck them in the ground, and they haven't had any pests and survived the cold, wet spring and the sudden 100-degree heat wave with no problem.

No comments: