Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back from Ireland

So what happens when you leave your garden for 2.5 weeks? Lots of weeds and grass in the garden. The fence was falling over in a couple of places. I caught a rabbit and a groundhog inside the garden over the last two days. I did some fence repair yesterday- reinforced the posts and added metal stakes to the bottom of the netting. I also added some metal screening to the corner of the garden next to the shed- I suspect the groundhog was sneaking through there.





The peas did not do well. The vegetation in this picture is mostly weeds.



A view of the tomatoes, random peppers, etc., and chickpeas. I already cleaned out the weeds and grass from the tomato bed by the time I took this picture. I lost two tomato plants to Colorado potato beetle larvae, but I had extras on the porch so I replanted after digging out all of the larvae from the soil. They look like bright orange-red lumps of ooze.



The lettuce did pretty well. It tastes sort of bitter though- no surprise since we had near 100-degree temperatures and alternating dry spells and torrents of rain, apparently.

No comments: