Friday, May 14, 2010

Building a new garden

I moved to a new house last summer! So I've almost finished building a terraced garden.
It's next to the shed. I figure the closer to the house, the better. The deer are a little less hesitant to come near the buildings.

Using regular landscaping logs and rebar rods.

The soil is a hard clay with, um, a LOT of rocks. Spent a large amount of time hacking rocks with a pickaxe. Added about 2 inches of compost across the garden. I wasn't sure the water pressure from the one spigot on the house would be high enough to push water up the hill, but is seems to be working fine:

The highest terrace is still not finished, but I started putting some plants in the lower levels anyway.

I'm trying Michihili cabbage this year (in the picture above). It's growing really well in pots on the porch and in the garden.

No comments: